ROCK DIMENSIONS CLIMBING / ADVENTURE CAMP 2012
Adventures Above and Below: Rocks, Ropes, Cables & Caverns!
Rock Dimensions’ Climbing/Adventure Camp provides five days of land-based
outdoor activities that includes Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Caving, Ropes/Challenge Course and Climbing Tower. The climbing days are suitable for beginning climbers and those who have some basic experience in a gym or outdoors. Each day will be facilitated in a manner that challenges participants on a personal level. The climate is positive, respectful and encouraging. The opportunity for fun and personal growth is a focus of this program, full of activities designed to challenge, build confidence, and allow kids to enjoy the beauty of being kids! They will come away with new skills, knowledge, and a memorable experience.
Please visit the Rock Dimensions website for the most current information and check out some of the great photos below.
June 25-29 / July 16-20 / July 30-August 3
Monday-Friday, 8:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. each day
• Climbing Tower at Footsloggers (downtown Boone)
• Discovery CourseTM (Blowing Rock, NC)
• Worleys Cave (Bluff City, TN)
• Linville Gorge / Wilson Creek (Pisgah National Forest)**
• Local climbing areas near Boone (National Park Service)**
**Rock Dimensions is permitted for guiding in Pisgah National Forest and areas of the Blue Ridge Parkway, National Park Service.
$500/person for 5-day camp. Includes a Rock Dimensions t-shirt.
Call to inquire about partial camp options (less than 5 days).
Participants will meet Rock Dimensions guides at our location at Footsloggers in Boone each morning at 8:30 A.M. (inside the courtyard by the climbing tower). Rock Dimensions will meet parents back in Boone between 4:30 and 5:00 P.M. each day.
Transportation to and from activity sites is provided. All climbing, rappelling, caving, and ropes/challenge course gear is provided.
Participants are responsible for bringing their own lunch, water, small backpack, appropriate clothing, and personal items like sun block, etc.
Participants will receive the following information in their registration packet:
• Registration/Medical form
• Liability agreements
• Clothing/equipment lists
DAY 1 – Climbing and Rappelling (local)
Instruction and climbing on the Footsloggers climbing tower in downtown Boone
Climbing and rappelling at a rock site close to Boone
• Learn to put on harness, tie knots, and use verbal commands
• Routes in the 5.5-5.6 range of difficulty (beginner level), with more intermediate level climbing available for those who need more of a challenge.
• Low angle rappels
DAYS 2 and 3 – Climbing and Rappelling (Pisgah National Forest)
Linville Gorge, Wilson Creek Wilderness, or local areas near Boone)
• Routes in the 5.5-5.7 range of difficulty (beginner+ level)
• Focus on climbing technique
• Rappelling (slab, vertical and/or overhanging faces)
DAY 4 – Caving
Feel like a true explorer inside a natural, undeveloped cave! It’s similar to a basic day hike, only this one takes place in the subterranean world of a limestone cave. We will travel through the main corridors, with opportunities to crawl and wiggle through some tight spaces for those who are interested in getting a little muddier!
• See classic and beautiful cave formations up close.
• Learn a bit about the life and geology of limestone caves.
• Experience true darkness that can only be found underground.
• Explore various cave passages, rooms, and aspects of the unique landscape.
DAY 5 – Ropes/Challenge Course and Climbing Tower
Stretch your limits with the obstacle course of elements on a dynamic high ropes course!
• Test your balance on the Catwalk …
• Find strength and agility climbing the vertical Cargo Nets …
• Challenge yourself to make it to the top of the Giant’s Ladder …
• Enjoy a thrilling ride off the Super Swing …
The day culmunates the spirit of support and encouragement of the weeklong camp, inviting kids to push their limits and experience a unique thrill as they navigate their way through obstacles suspended between the trees.